Review KZG DS-3 Putter Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
If someone had mentioned the brand KZG to you at the end of 2019, would you have known who they were and what they stood for? I’ll be honest, I would not have, so it’s ok if you fall into that same category. Here at THP, we have gotten a little more acquainted with the brand thanks to product reviews like their Tri-Tour ironsSuper Sole wedges, and most recently, the H370 hybrids. My fellow writer James Miles has done a fantastic job of both filling in the details of KZG as well as highlighting how those products perform, so if you haven’t given those articles a read yet, make sure you do, after you read this one of course. Since irons, hybrids, and wedges have already gone through the review process, let’s focus on what KZG offers for putters. ...

Continue reading...

Thanks for the great review Dean. The head shape of this model is quite appealing and I agree that this head in the champagne finish would be incredible.

• Staff
Thanks for the great review Dean. The head shape of this model is quite appealing and I agree that this head in the champagne finish would be incredible.

The fitting studio out in Buffalo is right around where I normally stay when I go out there for work. I wish I knew that last fall when I was out there for a couple of weeks. Perhaps next time, because, yeah, I be that look unreal.

looks like a nice flatstick but dont understand the brand's price masking. Why make a consumer jump through hoops to even find pricing if they may be interested in trying their equipment, especially in these times.

Good review, but putters are dime a dozen, why should we go track down a random fitter and not even know price point.

looks like a nice flatstick but dont understand the brand's price masking. Why make a consumer jump through hoops to even find pricing if they may be interested in trying their equipment, especially in these times.

Good review, but putters are dime a dozen, why should we go track down a random fitter and not even know price point.

If you telephone a KZG dealer and tell him which KZG club you want he will quote you a price for it

Nice review, I'll be honest I've never heard of them so I went to their website and I was liking the DS-2 in Champagne.

• Staff

I agree, they need to establish a baseline head price. But then again, they've been around for quite some time, so they aren't new to the game. Esp when you look at the options they have outside of the putter realm, because they have a pretty good sized catalog.

yeah, I msg'd one of their fitters to see about getting in and seeing about prices...as expected, the LH selection is limited but the prices seem in line with everything else.

Enjoyed this one Dean, a lot.

It’s a nice looking putter imo, and definitely seems to be a solid milled option.

What was the toe hang on this guy @ddec ?

Attachments

• 5CCF7063-6B4D-42C4-A098-65F5EBA52BDA.jpeg
    5CCF7063-6B4D-42C4-A098-65F5EBA52BDA.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
  • A6E7AA70-19E1-400A-B323-FC7E10B04A09.jpeg
    A6E7AA70-19E1-400A-B323-FC7E10B04A09.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 6
I agree, they need to establish a baseline head price. But then again, they've been around for quite some time, so they aren't new to the game. Esp when you look at the options they have outside of the putter realm, because they have a pretty good sized catalog.

It's not unusual for particular KZG models to remain in the company's line for years. For example, KZG's GF series of drivers and metal woods was first introduced nearly 15 years ago, yet KZG continues to maintain inventory of their GF models , so the KZG dealers still fit their customers into GF and assemble the clubs as if it were a brand new model.
Also, it's not unusual for several years to pass by before KZG brings out a new driver, wedge, iron model etc... . KZG has never played the TM-Callaway-Titleist-Mizuno style game of introducing new models every 2 years and at the same time discontinuing the previous model. . Instead, KZG designs/produces component heads, sells the heads to their customer base of fitter/dealers, and those dealers sometimes fit/sell the same model KZG head for more than 10 years.

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing the mallet with plumbers neck and able to give it a try. Thanks for this review.
John

It's not unusual for particular KZG models to remain in the company's line for years. For example, KZG's GF series of drivers and metal woods was first introduced nearly 15 years ago, yet KZG continues to maintain inventory of their GF models , so the KZG dealers still fit their customers into GF and assemble the clubs as if it were a brand new model.
Also, it's not unusual for several years to pass by before KZG brings out a new driver, wedge, iron model etc... . KZG has never played the TM-Callaway-Titleist-Mizuno style game of introducing new models every 2 years and at the same time discontinuing the previous model. . Instead, KZG designs/produces component heads, sells the heads to their customer base of fitter/dealers, and those dealers sometimes fit/sell the same model KZG head for more than 10 years.

yup, which is why their catalog is so big. They don't seem to move on a discard.

After being in many of the KZG threads, you seem rather knowledgeable about them, which is awesome. Care to explain your past with the brand while in this thread?

yup, which is why their catalog is so big. They don't seem to move on a discard.

After being in many of the KZG threads, you seem rather knowledgeable about them, which is awesome. Care to explain your past with the brand while in this thread?

I live in SF and the Nor Cal Bay Area was at one time a region which had about a dozen authorized KZG dealers. These independent dealers were club repair/fitter businesses and
mostly these shops did grip installations and shaft upgrades. This is 15 to 20 years ago , a time when the Callaway-Titleist-TM-Ping stock shafts were questionable quality , and the OEM's did not really have custom departments available yet, so there was decent customer demand for better quality aftermarket shaft upgrades.
Besides grip installations and driver shaft upgrades, the repair shops offered component club making services and kept an inventory of component head brands such as Golfsmith, Maltby-Golfworks, Dynacraft, Alpha, Zero Tolerance, and KZG. Among the component brands KZG clearly had the best designs and quality, so KZG was usually the "premier brand" that a repair/fit shop would offer.
From the late 90's until about 2005 I think KZG (and it's account base of repair/fit shops) had a good steady run of annual business. But by about year 2005 the OEM's were starting to offer better stock shafts, and establish expanded custom club departments, so the need for independent club repair/fit shops diminished. By about 2010 most of the independent club repair/fit shops has closed their doors. For example, here in the SF Bay Area only about 10% of these shops still are open (compared to 15 years ago). As far as I know KZG does not have at this time a single authorized SF Bay Area dealer.
For the past 10 years, to stay in business, I think KZG focused on selling to dealers within the European countries where there is still a large number of independent club repair/fit shops and the European golfers seem more willing than American's to get fit for component club brands.
About 5 years ago KZG moved its headquarters from North Hollywood Los Angeles to Palm Desert. At the Palm Desert location the company has a state of the art fitting studio, where golfers can get a full service fitting and club assembly. My guess is that the move to Palm Desert has been successful because it gives KZG the chance to sell clubs directly to the large number of desert cities area resident golfers as well as the thousands of snowbird retiree golfers who each year come down from northern US cities and Canada to spend weeks or months at a time playing golf. So, for any THP'er interested in KZG I think visiting the company's Palm Desert headquarters and fitting studio would probably be a fun experience.

Thanks for the review @ddec.

Face on the putter looks nice! I’ll take the champagne as well.

I'm going to give this putter a roll with some help from Blast Motion. I feel confident on the indoor putting with it, but I look forward to comparing some numbers to see if I am really squaring the face up and drawing it back a bit straighter.

Lots of people asking about price here, so wanted to let you know that speaking with KZG, the MSRP is $259 (which is pretty darn low).
That could go up based on shaft or grip, but standard pricing, that would be it.

Back