LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2024 Vokey Experience at Ballyhack

Man I miss this course! Looks amazing as always.

Great feedback on the wedges so far from the boys as well. It's cool to hear lower ball flight and big spin because I saw the exact same in my fitting a week ago.

@Trmpt98 how are you finding that K grind when you need to hit off a tighter lie? I have a 58-14K (bent to 57) incoming and i'm really excited for it in sand/rough, my only concern is on the tighter lies as i'm coming from a 56-10S.
I haven't tried it much on the tight grass lies but can let you know soon as I'll be playing a firmer course this week. Mostly I used it out of the bunkers and when I commit it does exactly as advertised. Lets me hit with a more square face coming out of the bunker.

I haven't tried it much on the tight grass lies but can let you know soon as I'll be playing a firmer course this week. Mostly I used it out of the bunkers and when I commit it does exactly as advertised. Lets me hit with a more square face coming out of the bunker.
Awesome man. Thanks, I'll be excited to hear how that goes.

This shirt was my only purchase in the clubhouse...I have to admit for me the sticker shock was real. Lots of cool stuff, just not at prices I wanted to pay.

Love this shirt though.

IMG_6941.jpeg

This shirt was my only purchase in the clubhouse...I have to admit for me the sticker shock was real. Lots of cool stuff, just not at prices I wanted to pay.

Love this shirt though.

View attachment 9262352
Awesome pickup dude! Undisputably Dormie pro shops are spendy. Sale racks are your friend though!

Of course I say that and I dropped $500 at Dormie's shop last year so maybe I'm not the best at taking my own advice :ROFLMAO:

Stopped for a quick bite before heading to the airport...damn good burger. Basically a cheeseburger with an onion ring and bbq sauce...AND pulled pork. View attachment 9262403
This is hero level stuff- giving us food pics AFTER the experience. Thank you sir!

Enjoy the last day boys!

This is what's awesome about THP Experiences - getting lessons and simple fixes from people who actually know what they're doing. Any other tips? Asking for a friend.
In the clinic, I worked with Aaron on tight lies. I'm coming from a situation where I essentially used a 54 for most things around the green, and would only use a 60 if I needed that high short shot. Aaron had me hit regular chips starting with my new 52. He had me close my stance to almost neutral, bring the ball closer to my feet to reduce clubhead arc around the body, and not decelerate, which is another common problem. By closing my stance, it effectively moved the ball forward in my stance, just like @Tenputt worked on. Then he had me make the same shots with the 56. I had good success, and then he had me open the clubface and again closed my stance to almost neutral. We repeated that with my 60. I was soon hitting more consistent high spin, higher trajectory, softer landing shots.

My advice coming off the wedge clinic, and after talking with John from Titleist afterward: If you have a short game practice facility, practice hitting all different shots in different lie conditions with all of your different wedges. Try it with different stances. I'd always played my chip shots and sand shots with a pretty open stance. Aaron said current technique is moving away from that somewhat. You'll find out what works and what doesn't. It didn't work for me to open up the 52 as much, so now I know that.

Aaron and John led two different groups. Our group worked primarily on tight lies

That's my problem 99.9% of the time.

Knowing that, do you think I can stop doing it though?
One tip that @Canadan shared with me is to take three quick swings, like you picture making with your chip and then quickly set up to the ball and make your swing WITH YOUR MIND CLEAR and not thinking of anything.

Try it.

That's my problem 99.9% of the time.

Knowing that, do you think I can stop doing it though?
My best luck is having "tick-tock" as a swing thought and imagining a clock pendulum or old school metronome. Those do not decelerate, and travel the same distance back and forth. Well, as long as the cat doesn't start whacking at it...

fwiw my 60M has become a go-to club for most anything around the green. I used to live in fear of the lob - no longer.

Last edited:
In the clinic, I worked with Aaron on tight lies. I'm coming from a situation where I essentially used a 54 for most things around the green, and would only use a 60 if I needed that high short shot. Aaron had me hit regular chips starting with my new 52. He had me close my stance to almost neutral, bring the ball closer to my feet to reduce clubhead arc around the body, and not decelerate, which is another common problem. By closing my stance, it effectively moved the ball forward in my stance, just like @Tenputt worked on. Then he had me make the same shots with the 56. I had good success, and then he had me open the clubface and again closed my stance to almost neutral. We repeated that with my 60. I was soon hitting more consistent high spin, higher trajectory, softer landing shots.

My advice coming off the wedge clinic, and after talking with John from Titleist afterward: If you have a short game practice facility, practice hitting all different shots in different lie conditions with all of your different wedges. Try it with different stances. I'd always played my chip shots and sand shots with a pretty open stance. Aaron said current technique is moving away from that somewhat. You'll find out what works and what doesn't. It didn't work for me to open up the 52 as much, so now I know that.

Aaron and John led two different groups. Our group worked primarily on tight lies
The clinic sounds like it was SUPER useful for you guys!!

The clinic sounds like it was SUPER useful for you guys!!
Honestly, the clinic rates right up there, although it is difficult to rank something that is incredible from beginning to end. I have worked with instructors and coaches, but it has been a long time since I have had anybody who really understands short game and wedges give me some instruction. I have some tremors in my hands anyway and I have gotten to where I almost would rather have my ball just off the green in some rough than have my ball sitting on a tight lie. It is almost yippish.

Case in point… On Monday, I had a good round going and was sitting just off of the green on 15 (a par 5), after my second shot. You figure that you should be giving yourself a good birdie look. However, I was sitting on a tight lie (but not thin grass), which has been my nemesis. I step up to the ball and chunk my chip/pitch. It left me barely on the green and I three putted for bogey. On such a tough course, that just can’t happen.

After the wedge clinic, I feel I have some additional tools in the bag. I need to work on them. All of this time, I thought that conventional wisdom was to get the ball back in your stance for those chips. I was given some different ideas. I have pretty much exclusively used my 58* wedge from 90 yards and in. I am going to work to turn my sw and gw into effective clubs around the green.

I have pretty much exclusively used my 58* wedge from 90 yards and in. I am going to work to turn my sw and gw into effective clubs around the green.
Love all of that for you man but what I'm quoting is me. I know I need to be more versatile with more clubs and not think my 60* is end all be all from 80 and in

In the clinic did they talk to you about the importance of the toe grind and chipping advice with the toe down at all?

Man, these wedge clinic bits of knowledge are so good. I'm going to have to think about what all was said, the ball position more forward & closer isn't working in my head but you guys got it from the folks with real knowledge so will have to test it out.

Love all of that for you man but what I'm quoting is me. I know I need to be more versatile with more clubs and not think my 60* is end all be all from 80 and in
Like chipping with your 8i maybe?

You're so money with that 60*, I don't blame you.

In the clinic did they talk to you about the importance of the toe grind and chipping advice with the toe down at all?

No one on our side was trying to use them toe down, so really did not get into that other than a mention of one of the older grinds (sorry, not remembering which one) having that kind of toe relief due to Lanny Watkins wanting to use it that way back in the day.

Our clinic was really personalized about what grinds we were fit into and making sure we had better ideas of when and how to use each one

Like chipping with your 8i maybe?

You're so money with that 60*, I don't blame you.
It I just think loft. I’m not taking my grind or bounce in to consideration at all when it comes to what lie I have. It gets me in trouble occasionally

sounds like a smartsole C is in your future

Did anyone bring home a scorecard or take a picture of the scorecard? I am going through @Daluteh 's great hole-by-hole previews and am not remembering for each hole where we played Black tees and where we played White tees. I know the combined (I think they called them the Appalachian tees) were indicated on the card, just didn't think to grab it...also forgot to grab my name plate off the cottage room door the way I meant to.

Back