G-Trak Retractable Impact Screen

This looks like a really cool product. Being able to use the garage without uninstalling is a huge win.

To an extent it does…maybe 5 mins on both set up and take down, as I still need to set up computer, mats, etc.

One of these days, I will have a simulator and the innovations coming to market like this are making it easier. The Skytrak event had me measuring spaces.

I hate putting my net up and down. There are so many times I just want to hit a few balls and don’t because I don’t want to get the net out. Conversely, once I put it up in the yard, I don’t like to take it down until my wife says something or we are expecting a storm.

To an extent it does…maybe 5 mins on both set up and take down, as I still need to set up computer, mats, etc.
For me, I had my hitting mat covered with a nice waterproof tarp. I left it in place mostly, unless serious melting snow was going to get dragged in. Otherwise, ceiling mounted projector, cords run to the side wall hanging down to plug into computer that was on a fold up tray. Hardwire or WiFi connect to GC3. Good to go.

This is a pretty cool product, something I would definitely look into if I was going to be in the market for a sim

that is pretty darn awesome

If you spend any time reading through the #GarageSimCrew thread on the THP forums you’ll quickly see just how creative people can get when setting up their indoor golf space. For most of the us, the reality is that we have to find a way to repurpose space in our homes for golf. In many cases, we don’t have the luxury of making our indoor golf area a permanent fixture. At a previous house, I was constantly setting up and tearing down my “tent-stakes” net so that my wife could park her car in the garage, and while it wasn’t an excruciating chore, it was just annoying enough to deter me from practicing as often as I should have.

Continue reading...
Great write up, @Hawk

This is a definite interest item for us in our spare bedroom 👍🏼😎

Super cool product and great write up as always…

Great write up @Hawk! Love to see how this area keeps progressing with more and more options. It is only a matter of time before I convert my setup into a full sim setup with how enticing these options are.

I love the idea of this product. I don't love the cost, but it is understandable. I wish they made a manual crank version to lower the cost some.

Also my garage set-up is less than ideal with this because I've tried hitting towards a garage door and I can only hit irons with ceiling restrictions there, but at the back of my garage I'm fine with all clubs.

The wall mount might work in my situation here, but I don't know if it's worth an additional $2k+ right now.

Very neat setup!

I will say though, watching the video, their seem may be a bit juiced lol

That is a super cool set up.

Been thinking about this quite a bit since I wrote it up. I don't think my space really works for the garage door setup, but I was very much interested in a retractable option for my garage wall. I think it would take up a little less space.

My biggest curiosity is how well the screen protects the wall behind the G-Trak. In my case, there's a window there, so there can't be much backward movement.

Been thinking about this quite a bit since I wrote it up. I don't think my space really works for the garage door setup, but I was very much interested in a retractable option for my garage wall. I think it would take up a little less space.

My biggest curiosity is how well the screen protects the wall behind the G-Trak. In my case, there's a window there, so there can't be much backward movement.
I showed Jenn this last night. So for ours it should theoretically work. I'm dealing with a single car garage. Right now my net is pretty much in the middle, just in front of the door opener. Doesn't give me a ton of throw for the ball, but it works. Something that can be retractable is attractive. Also means my mat setup can move a bit based on what I'm hitting/working on that day.

I showed Jenn this last night. So for ours it should theoretically work. I'm dealing with a single car garage. Right now my net is pretty much in the middle, just in front of the door opener. Doesn't give me a ton of throw for the ball, but it works. Something that can be retractable is attractive. Also means my mat setup can move a bit based on what I'm hitting/working on that day.
That last part is really helpful. Keeps the wedges in the net, but you can avoid hitting it with the driver.

That last part is really helpful. Keeps the wedges in the net, but you can avoid hitting it with the driver.
also side note...hitting driver into a net and watching the tee go flying through it is no fun.

also side note...hitting driver into a net and watching the tee go flying through it is no fun.
Mine always end up behind me. I will say that installing the screen over my net improved my experience with it immensely.

Mine always end up behind me. I will say that installing the screen over my net improved my experience with it immensely.
our caddie at Ballyhack said to me that he could always tell when I hit a drive well because my tee would always go flying back at him. Those birtees never fly back for me.

Trust me, tees flying back is a sign of nothing lol.

Trust me, tees flying back is a sign of nothing lol.
I just wanted to feel good. Thanks for keeping me grounded.

I just wanted to feel good. Thanks for keeping me grounded.
Would you stick with an overhead opener if you had something like this?

Would you stick with an overhead opener if you had something like this?
I haven't really looked into those side mounted openers, or even what they cost. But I would consider that because that frees up even more space.

I haven't really looked into those side mounted openers, or even what they cost. But I would consider that because that frees up even more space.
400-500 is what I've seen. Having busted a perfectly fine opener at my old house, I'd probably look at one if I went that route again.

400-500 is what I've seen. Having busted a perfectly fine opener at my old house, I'd probably look at one if I went that route again.
I get so nervous that I'm going to hammer mine.

Back