Golf Courses Go Off Course

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show and this is episode 170. Hosted by Dan Edwards, each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today, Golf Course Rater Ken Miller joins the show and the discussion centers around golf courses from design to pro shop mementos.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Dan and Ken talk about experiencing golf courses of all different shapes and styles. This show has a lot going on and is one you will not want to miss as golf courses go Off Course.

Episode 170 is here and Dan and Ken discuss the following topics.

Experiencing Golf Courses in Many Styles and Designs
Course Design Around Land or Against It
Appreciating New vs Courses with History
Cheap Design Features vs Great Ones
Buying Mementos For More Than Just the Logo
And so much more

You can listen to the show right here, Apple Podcasts or anywhere you do your listening and downloading from. Search for the Hackers Paradise and make sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode. After listening, come back over and drop us a note below on what you agree and/or disagree with from the episode. If you get a chance, drop us a review wherever you listen from and let others know what you think of the show and/or channel.

Continue reading...

I really enjoyed this conversation. While I despise golf course rating, I did love the aspect of design and features.

That was fun. Would love to hear more about the rating stuff and the course differences through that lens.

I really enjoyed this conversation. While I despise golf course rating, I did love the aspect of design and features.
I've always been fascinated by conversations from folks who have really seen it all from a design and location perspective, and actually take the time to appreciate the subtle nuances of each experience. There are a few books I REALLY need to dive into that talk purely course design, because I think it helps to appreciate the beauty of golf (especially some of these insane Dormie properties we've been seeing).

Oh my goodness, this one will be great. I'm happy to be a legend this week.

Very interesting show. I'll be diving into this on the drive to Dove MTN with @MSEASU tomorrow morning.

Oh this is awesome!!! Ken seemed like a fantastic guy when you introduced us when we played there. I was super intrigued when you mentioned he was a rater. Excited to get more in to this one!

Definitely was not aware he wasn't a member there anymore though. With you saying how much he plays there, that's shocking to learn

How is it that it took being a guest on your podcast for me to learn the story of Ken? I'm sure that comment is the quickest way to be accused of being a skimmer :ROFLMAO:

The course layout/building discussion was fascinating

How is it that it took being a guest on your podcast for me to learn the story of Ken? I'm sure that comment is the quickest way to be accused of being a skimmer :ROFLMAO:
It's fine, skim shady. I'm glad you're here.

The course layout/building discussion was fascinating
It's one of the things I have REALLY tried to open my eyes to when I visit a golf course - their willingness to work with the land and not against it to create brilliance.

It's one of the things I have REALLY tried to open my eyes to when I visit a golf course - their willingness to work with the land and not against it to create brilliance.
Your comment on Strantz was funny :LOL:

Even though his portfolio isn’t the largest because of his passing, but he’s exactly who I think of when I think of working with the land to create a course. Tobacco Road is one of my most wanting to play courses

I like Ken. Seems like a cool guy...and he got me wanting to get back to Tobacco Road.

Damnit

I will admit that every time you said golf course rater I thought you were saying golf course "raider"
I just thought I was stupid and didn't know what that meant.

I like Ken. Seems like a cool guy...and he got me wanting to get back to Tobacco Road.

Damnit
I've never played it.

Had a chance one time and got sick instead. It sucked a lot.

@Canadan another enjoyable podcast. Haven't been posting on the weekly threads, but still listen religiously to the podcasts. Love the variety we get week to week.

@Canadan another enjoyable podcast. Haven't been posting on the weekly threads, but still listen religiously to the podcasts. Love the variety we get week to week.
Thank you so much my good man!

Enjoyed the podcast. Great chatter. Feels like you barely touched the surface of Ken’s expertise so that alone is reason to bring him back. Would love to hear more about the golf course rating: what all goes into that and how the rating is determined. Also glad to hear Mike Strantz get some love and a reality check on Jack Nicklaus designs.

Back