GOAT Grips – Putter Grip Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Trying an unconventional putter grip can be a game-changer for any golfer. While traditional putter grips have been the norm for decades, new and innovative designs are emerging that challenge golfers’ perceptions of what a grip should look and feel like. Let’s explore the benefits of trying an unconventional putter grip as we examine one option with the latest from GOAT Grips.

Continue reading...

@ddec great information. These look like a Garsen grip to me. What was the adjustment period like?

I like the thought process they had designing the grip and it totally makes sense.

Well damn I never thought about the information dropped here. Great information @ddec and now you have me thinking about the grip I currently use. Decent price point.

How long was the adjustment period for you?

• Staff
Well damn I never thought about the information dropped here. Great information @ddec and now you have me thinking about the grip I currently use. Decent price point.

How long was the adjustment period for you?
I never really did either. But it makes some sense right. Putt with something like a SS 3.0 or bigger and then do some with one of these and there is some noticeable difference in feel. Can really feel it during that transition from backstroke to forward stroke.

• Staff
@ddec great information. These look like a Garsen grip to me. What was the adjustment period like?
First I had to adjust the grip because I installed it wrong haha

It wasn’t all that much for me to be honest. The grip on my gamer putter is not a standard grip anyway and it’s a similar size.

Great photography and writing @ddec.

I was meh, but then you said you loved it with left-hand-low and I was back in. I do get some Garsen vibes, though the rounded back side is unique. I'd definitely give these a try.

• Staff
Great photography and writing @ddec.

I was meh, but then you said you loved it with left-hand-low and I was back in. I do get some Garsen vibes, though the rounded back side is unique. I'd definitely give these a try.
And supposedly they are going to be coming with more grips that will be designed to accommodate more grip methods like left hand low and claw. Be interested to see where they go with that.

Didn’t know you were a left hand low guy now

And supposedly they are going to be coming with more grips that will be designed to accommodate more grip methods like left hand low and claw. Be interested to see where they go with that.

Didn’t know you were a left hand low guy now
I have been since maybe 2013-14? Feels weird to grip a putter any other way at this point.

I will see if I can get my hands on 1 locally to try in hand. I like the look and idea behind that grip

Sure like the theory and looks of this grip…and as a Goat Cup Alumni, I probably need to try these 🐐

Thanks @ddec my reading comprehension isn't great this morning and I never actually saw the putter face in the pics of the grip so want to make sure I understand whats in play here. The flat portion of the grip is aligned with the face of the putter yes? That flat portion of the grip is closer to the shaft creating a bit of offset with the grip right?

Okay, weird question. For installation, how tough was it to get "right"? Level involved?

Great write up @ddec
Questions as always..
1. So I'm to understand that the grip is flat on 3 sides and rounded in the back?
2. You talked about the Tour Grip having the same logo as the Blackout (Which looks Cool BTW) however I can not for the life of me figure out what this is:
1701350432214.png

Thanks @ddec my reading comprehension isn't great this morning and I never actually saw the putter face in the pics of the grip so want to make sure I understand whats in play here. The flat portion of the grip is aligned with the face of the putter yes? That flat portion of the grip is closer to the shaft creating a bit of offset with the grip right?
yes, that flat portion is aligned with the face. The shaft is installed closer to that leading hand edge to give a little more control and reduce effective offset you get when say using a SS 3.0 because that shaft is installed in the center of the grip. Use a 5.0 and it’s the same design. When GOAT expands and makes larger grips the shaft will still sit closer to that edge so that you get benefits to both the larger grip but the feeling more associated to a thinner grip.

yes, that flat portion is aligned with the face. The shaft is installed closer to that leading hand edge to give a little more control and reduce effective offset you get when say using a SS 3.0 because that shaft is installed in the center of the grip. Use a 5.0 and it’s the same design. When GOAT expands and makes larger grips the shaft will still sit closer to that edge so that you get benefits to both the larger grip but the feeling more associated to a thinner grip.
Thank you for the clarification sir and sorry my brain wasn't functioning well to grasp!

Okay, weird question. For installation, how tough was it to get "right"? Level involved?

Actually glad you asked.

Well I totally F’d it up by installing it like a normal grip at first. So off to a good start. I definitely used a small level on the face to make sure it was good in the vice. Needed a little more attention to detail.

Also trying to save/move the grip once it was dry was a bit of a pain, but got it done.

Thanks for the photo...
This Is Perfect Tom Cruise GIF by Film4

IMG_8812.pngGreat write up @ddec
Questions as always..
1. So I'm to understand that the grip is flat on 3 sides and rounded in the back?
2. You talked about the Tour Grip having the same logo as the Blackout (Which looks Cool BTW) however I can not for the life of me figure out what this is:
View attachment 9225210

It’s goat.

Here’s the logo on a hat.

Im intrigued. The flat side, open to the face makes a ton of sense and it's something I have never thought about it.

I grip the putter traditionally, but having that flat side for my right hand coming around the grip where the fingers lay seems like it would set up very well. I am pretty stubborn when it comes to grip, and most new grips do not really intrigue me, but this ones doe.

Great review, Dean.

Great write up @ddec
Questions as always..
View attachment 9225210

T Rex?? Or Kangaroo.

Had a oversized grip on my putter and was getting ready to move on as my putting was suffering. But I got this idea. And I had the guy at the shop twist my grip 90 degrees so the flat side which was on top was on side which was away from face. Initially it was amazing. So much more control. But as with everything at least in my arsenal the effect of more control wore off and the putter sits on my wall of shame with countless others.

Back