Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH – A Classic We Just Can’t Quit

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The pressure on golf equipment manufacturers to drive technology forward is unrelenting. Large companies have entire divisions devoted to working on products you may not see in stores for five or even ten years. Algorithms, artificial intelligence, and robots are working, probably at this very moment, to make all of us a little less terrible at this game. Still, some great ideas are around for the long haul. Depending on your age, there’s even a chance you’re playing something that was created before your first day of grade school.

Continue reading...

Nice read. I enjoyed seeing how Nippon really launched into that space. They are my first preference when it comes to steel shafts.

Any idea if that line gets a refresh as they continue to learn more?

Enjoyed the article. Played a set of the 950s in a set of Callaway Fusions many years ago

• Staff
Nice read. I enjoyed seeing how Nippon really launched into that space. They are my first preference when it comes to steel shafts.

Any idea if that line gets a refresh as they continue to learn more?
Thanks Scooby - They did drop the 950GH Neo a short while back. To me, it looks like a very similar concept with tweaked EI curve. I have not tried it.

Thanks Scooby - They did drop the 950GH Neo a short while back. To me, it looks like a very similar concept with tweaked EI curve. I have not tried it.
I play the 950 Neo R flex and really like them

Good read this morning! I don't fit into the 950GH, but it's interesting how they brought it to market, kind of failed, yet came back after gathering feedback and created something that's still around 25 years later. I've enjoyed the Modus3 lineup, so enjoyed reading more about Nippon.

I may have to try these in a X flex. The swing optimizer had me in the Modus 105x but I got scared off at the time by the flex stamp, which was silly.

was fit into these during my only fitting

I may have to try these in a X flex. The swing optimizer had me in the Modus 105x but I got scared off at the time by the flex stamp, which was silly.

The 105 and 950gh have very different performance profiles. The 105 doesn’t work well for me but I can hit the 950 and the 120.

The 105 and 950gh have very different performance profiles. The 105 doesn’t work well for me but I can hit the 950 and the 120.
Agreed. Even at the lighter weight, the 105 in X is going to feel very stiff in my opinion. It's a really unique profile and many people will say the 120 feels softer than the 105.

Thanks for providing this, I truly enjoyed the read. The 950's are a shaft I have looked at in the past but never pulled the trigger on. I might need to re-visit these.

The pressure on golf equipment manufacturers to drive technology forward is unrelenting. Large companies have entire divisions devoted to working on products you may not see in stores for five or even ten years. Algorithms, artificial intelligence, and robots are working, probably at this very moment, to make all of us a little less terrible at this game. Still, some great ideas are around for the long haul. Depending on your age, there’s even a chance you’re playing something that was created before your first day of grade school.

Continue reading...
i was fit into a set of clubs last spring with NS Pro 950 GH shafts for the same reasons you describe - looking for higher ball flight. it's amazing to think they can still perform all these years later after they were created. i'm in a different set now due to the Titleist Experience, but those clubs and Nippon shafts will be kept very busy this coming season in my son's bag. and at 12 years old, the shaft design is double his age!

I ended up in the 120 and really enjoyed so now I'm curious.

Agreed. Even at the lighter weight, the 105 in X is going to feel very stiff in my opinion. It's a really unique profile and many people will say the 120 feels softer than the 105.

Agreed the 105 plays stiffer. The 120 definitely plays softer than the 105 in the same flex.

I ended up in the 120 and really enjoyed so now I'm curious.

I found the 950 to launch higher and be softer in the tip than the 120. I would have stayed in the 120s but my hands were bothering me so I swapped them out for graphite.

I found the 950 to launch higher and be softer in the tip than the 120. I would have stayed in the 120s but my hands were bothering me so I swapped them out for graphite.
hmm, thanks for the feedback there, if the tip gets too soft I get scared off

What. A. Piece.

Well done Hawk!

I actually have fond memories of the 950’s, had them in a set if Nickent 3DX Pro’s.

One of the best articles I’ve read in a while @Hawk

When I played steel I gave these a run, but they were a bit too high launch for me. Modus 105 or 120 were a better fit.
But like most of the Nippon line up, they felt great.
Another shaft that has stood the test of time is the Aldila NV line up.

I didn't play the 950 but did play the 1030 which was the shaft made for Cobra in the S3 irons. I believe those played between the 950 and 1050. I really liked those.

@Hawk this was a fun read. These are definitely a classic shaft that has stood the test of time...nearly 25 years which is crazy.

I would never call you slow and low. At least not to your face.

@Hawk this was a fun read. These are definitely a classic shaft that has stood the test of time...nearly 25 years which is crazy.

I would never call you slow and low. At least not to your face.
It’s why I try to avoid you. Hate having to compare myself to your moonshots.

Back