Volvik – A Brand Story

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When you think of Volvik, you might think of golf balls in various colors, maybe even Bubba Watson for a brief stretch, but most wouldn’t have conjured up an image of creation or high performance. This story came about after finding a newer Volvik golf ball on the course and giving it a trial run. What we learned is more than we could have imagined and there is a lot of misinformation out there about a brand that should have more eyes on it.

Continue reading...

This is absolutely mind blowing. I just saw them as the marvel ball people. I have also seen a few crystal balls on the course and passed them over...maybe that was a mistake

Last edited:
Ummmmm whoa! I had nothing but misconceptions about this brand. This is why I really appreciate these brand stories. Thank you @JB and Volvik for taking the time to put something together! I’m kinda dumbfounded at the moment…

Volvik talks about wanting to make golf fun. Sounds like they have a great home here at THP.

Last edited:
Great write up @JB ! I've played their ball in the past but never was a big fan of the matte look. Will be looking out for their new line this year to give them a try.

I never knew the back story to them but was not a fan of matte golf balls. It will be interesting to see where they head in 2024.

Thanks for the write up. I enjoyed reading it. To be honest, I have never played a Volvik ball. I have seem the Marvel ones but had no interest. Now that I know more about the brand, I look for to hearing about the performance of specific Volvik balls.

My wife has played them in the past as she likes matte, coloured golf balls. If I find one this year, I’ll give it a shot and see how it performs.Enjoyed the history and back story. I remember Bubba switching to Volvik for the $$$ then his game went downhill and then the switch back in 2018. Unfortunately his experience I feel tarnished Volvik pretty bad.

So glad these are back. I will give this one a read during my whirlwind travel today.

Thanks for the fun and informative read. Admittedly, I always thought Volvik balls to be kind of gimmicky and never have tried them. I know have a totally different perception about the brand.

Nice read. I brought them to an experience in 2018 as I loved the color options they had. I was fairly new to golf still at that time so the performance was not my first concern but I felt like they held up ok on that end. I'll never forget using the blue variety and the endless jokes :ROFLMAO:

I have only used them a handful of times since then, but sounds like a revisit might be in store for the 2024 season

I didn't realize they were that big in Korea. I knew they were from there and some Asian golfers played their ball but didn't know number 2. That's impressive

Enjoy these, thanks for the history.

Yeah so they make colored balls to attract mostly female golfers. Pros dont use em which is all you need to know. Color me unimpressed

Interesting brand story. I like many others I’m sure have always just seen them as a ‘novelty ball’ company. Nothing I’ve ever considered playing.

2024 is definitely going to be the year of the golf ball imo. Nice to see that another company is going to make some big waves. I’m interested to see what Volvik bring to the party.

Yeah so they make colored balls to attract mostly female golfers. Pros dont use em which is all you need to know. Color me unimpressed
That’s what you got out of the story? Weird 🤣

Interesting brand story. I like many others I’m sure have always just seen them as a ‘novelty ball’ company. Nothing I’ve ever considered playing.

2024 is definitely going to be the year of the golf ball imo. Nice to see that another company is going to make some big waves. I’m interested to see what Volvik bring to the party.
I think this is what spurred me to look into the story. Even working in the industry, I assume and wrongfully, that they were sourcing balls or using a factory to create. I knew they were the first with a certain visual look, but that was the extent.

That's what I went into it thinking as well. I had no idea, on a different note the fact that Callaway opened 2 years after these guys is mind blowing.

The amount of history is pretty cool and it's a fun read full of tidbits that I didn't realize or ever think about.

Els and Couples play yellow, but they’re “old” 😁

Definitely some stigma with colored balls, because they look like cheap range balls. They clearly aren’t.

Played a few Volvik balls over the years. Including the bubba ball. I don’t like matte golf balls but some love them and vivid are popular.

Outstanding Brand Story @JB.
TBH - I kinda knew a lot about Volvilk as I played the S4 several years ago and just loved the speed and at the time, they were known as the spinnest short game golf ball.
I've also played the Vibe when it was available and recently the XT Soft (Which I really liked)
@ScoFoBG and I have has discussions on Volvik Golf Balls.
I think in the day, Budget Golf sold a ton Volvik's
The issue for me the last couple of years for me as been availability and "Value"
There was a time when Volvik was easy to be had and 10-15% cheaper in the space they played and knowing that they manufactured their own, made an interesting proposition. Now, I don't feel like any of those option exist. I hoping to be proven wrong.

I hope this leads Brand Story leads to some ball testing here. I'd be in.

Interesting read, definitely thought that they were more in line with the DTC crowd who bought a golf ball and ordered them in crazy colors or slapped Marvel logos on them and apparently that was completely wrong. I do remember picking up Volvik golf balls for my nieces back in the day in some shimmering pink color when they started taking lessons. Will be interesting to see what they have in store for 2024.

Interesting article, a lot of things about Volvik there that I didn't realize. I always considered them as cheap "rock balls", and the Marvel thing doesn't resonate with me - it just added to the aura of them being novelty products. It sounds like they have good things planned for the future and I look forward to seeing where they go in 2024, more options is always a good thing.

I enjoy reading how brands become successful. Perfect time of year to read this. Thanks

@JB thank you for these, I always enjoy the brand reads.

impressive to hear the power of a focused individual to drive a market

Definitely going to take into their offerings

When I think Volvik I think colored balls and Marvel no doubt. Beyond that I think of Bubba and his downfall when he switched balls. Maybe thats not fair but it is what it is. This brand story is kind of mind blowing, I had no idea about any of this, really enjoyed this story.

Back