Cleveland Halo XL Fairway Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Shouldn’t we all strive to make the game easier on ourselves? The answer is obviously a resounding yes, but as we all know, golfers are great at making a mess of such a simple concept. That is exactly what Cleveland Golf is hoping to help with as they introduce their new Halo XL lineup. With three different clubs the goal is to get golfers to create a setup which offers more consistency, and to rid themselves of clubs they carry despite being fearful of them.

Continue reading...

Again, this looks like a reasonable option for a guy like me based on your numbers. Historically I haven't loved fairway woods period, but the shallower face and sole seem like they'd help elevate the ball.

• Staff
Probably the club of the line I’m most impressed with overall. Maybe that is because of where I placed my expectations, and shame on me for that, but I do believe the look and shaping is SO much better for Cleveland here than in the past, and that helps.

This much peak height potential is exciting to see from ANY fairway. Sure, the 55g shaft probably added to the spin and flight for me, but the head itself made it feel easy, ESPECIALLY on my slightly high heel of center tendency in a 3W.

Nice article, definitely seems like a fairway wood to try out this season.

Cleveland appears to be bringing lots of performance at a great price with these current releases. There is a lot to potentially like here for me. I have struggled at time with fairway woods. The bigger head is no problem. Easy to launch is a positive.

• Staff
Cleveland appears to be bringing lots of performance at a great price with these current releases. There is a lot to potentially like here for me. I have struggled at time with fairway woods. The bigger head is no problem. Easy to launch is a positive.
What is interesting to me now having also written a couple other soon to come release articles on fairways, the size isn’t actually that big. One of the big “fairway” brands actually has 2 of their 3 options at 200cc and 190cc to this one’s 185 cc in 3w.

That surprised me a little.

Nice article @Jman . When the previous gen came out I went to a Cleveland demo day and found the fairway woods much easier to hit and launch than the Hy Wood. Which seems to be reverse opposite of what others find.

So I am curious to test these this year. Not really in the market to replace my fairway woods but Cleveland always seems to put out fw that works for the slower swingers out there.

Great article as always @Jman , not in the market for a 3W but seems like Cleveland has a potentially great line on their hands here. Really isn't anyone making bad clubs these days.

Enjoyed reading about the details and the performance review. Cleveland fairway woods were always typically solid performers for me. To be honest, the larger footprint of this one is something that I have typically stayed away from in fairway woods.

Probably the club of the line I’m most impressed with overall. Maybe that is because of where I placed my expectations, and shame on me for that, but I do believe the look and shaping is SO much better for Cleveland here than in the past, and that helps.

This much peak height potential is exciting to see from ANY fairway. Sure, the 55g shaft probably added to the spin and flight for me, but the head itself made it feel easy, ESPECIALLY on my slightly high heel of center tendency in a 3W.
Always know that we're going to get a great @Jman Fairway review and this one doesn't disapoint

You mentioned in the article:
You see, I prefer a more compact look from my fairways, and the Halo XL with its 185cc size in the 3-Wood is the exact opposite of that. It has all sorts of things going on with the Hi-Bore Crown Step too, but from the moment I unboxed this one I was taken aback by it

Would you have a close up shot of it? I'm wondering if it's like the XXIO X Black.

This one may be the most exciting of the Cleveland releases for me, that XL 3W that actually launches high is exactly what I look for in a 3W.

The CB in these releases is quite intriguing, as well.

The Launcher fairway woods caught me by surprise last year. Straight rocket launchers on a budget. These might be the biggest secret in golf. Super forgiving, easy to hit, gets through the ground, and long!

This club will fly under most peoples radar but will be an awesome option for likely 90% of golfers (me included)

Can this be a good choice for a tee shot? I find most clubs today are too shallow and not large at all. I'm looking for a driver alternative.

Gotta say it again, but the price and performance seems like a home run. The profile does look larger, like mentioned, but it doesn’t look massive

What’s not to like about gliderails and big launch! Looks like another game helper that many of us should consider trying

Again, I love the tech they are pushing to their fairway woods. Not to mention the price point is aggressively good.

@Jman the one thing I struggled with on the previous version was hitting the 3 wood off the turf. I don't know what the mental hurdle was. It was a large head and seemed a little tall. What do you think of it behind the ball, height wise?

I was hoping maybe I could get through another season with the long side of the bag intact but I’m not sure that’s going to happen.

Fortunately these look sharp, appear to offer plenty of performance, and aren’t too hateful toward the wallet.

Ordered a custom 9W with a Fujikura Ventus Red (went non-velocore given chance this club wouldn't stay in the bag). After hitting range balls and playing some holes on the course, my initial impression is this will have a permanent spot. The club is extremely easy to hit - much more forgiving than the traditional iron it replaces and the effortless launch inspires a ton of confidence. My much-too-early conclusion is that I'm a huge fan.

I came away, very impressed with the feel and performance of the five wood this evening

I thought the top of my bag was pretty set, but this gave me something to think about. It just seemed so easy to hit.

I would love to give this a try as well as the XL2 driver. The last XL driver I got cheap on the used rack has knocked the G425 out of my bag. I'd love to know if the either this version or the last one could knock the PING 3W out of my bag. If the fairway is as easy to hit as the driver it's a winner for sure.

I would love to give this a try as well as the XL2 driver. The last XL driver I got cheap on the used rack has knocked the G425 out of my bag. I'd love to know if the either this version or the last one could knock the PING 3W out of my bag. If the fairway is as easy to hit as the driver it's a winner for sure.
The fit and finish was really good on these and the drivers in hand. Very impressive.

Back