The Club You Were REALLY Wrong About...

Man this could be a long list. Maybe Modus 105 and Recoil 95 shafts. Was able to groove them in a controlled environment but on course no clue where the ball was going.

Honorable mention to the Killer Bee driver in the 90's. I remember a HS tournament where I hit nothing but low snap hooks.

Cobra hi wood. Can't hit that thing to save my life?

Ping G400 3+ FW. I absolutely destroyed that club on the launch monitor. Got fit into an 8X Ping Tour shaft. Probably by swinging like a spastic ape. This was going to be 3W accuracy with almost driver distance. Every par 5 would be quaking in its roots. And then I gamed it. I was lucky to get it tree high off the ground and it was the worst club for my game that ever made it into my bag. I haven’t wanted to play a strong 3W since.

Pretty much any 60 degree wedge. I am WAY better around the greens just using a 56. For some reason my brain just does not understand a 60

Any Callaway Driver I have EVER tried. I don’t know what it is but they just aren’t for me. On the other hand I love my Heavenwood. And I mean love it! This club has changed my entire approach on Par 5s.

That old Taylor Made 9.0 driver that came with that bubble shaft. Bought it right off the shelf. Biggest waste of money I ever spent on gold stuff.

I learn three things after the purchase.

1. Don't believe any of the golf hype on equipment. Try things out first.

2. Go to a qualified club fitter for the best equipment results.

3. Check the end results of built equipment. I was once fitted by Golf Smith for a D through 7w. Had the clubs built to my swing specs. Every club, except for the 5w played extremely well for me. I just could not put the club face on the ball clean enough. I topped a lot of balls with that 5w. No amount of practice seemed to help. Pretty much stopped using it.

One day while cleaning my clubs, I noticed the shaft of the 5w was in a different position than the other 3 clubs, with regards to the club head. . It was about a half a turn off.

I took the 3w, and 5w to a local club builder, and had him remove, and replace the 5w shaft, so that it matched the 3w shaft according to the club face. This cured the problem. I gained more strokes with the repaired club.

The OG Cleveland Hywood. It just didn’t work for me.

Any recent TaylorMade driver. I hit a draw. Would aim right of intended target and honestly…5 out of 10 shots would knuckle and bust off right.

And sadly, the Mezz.1 putter. I had a very hard time lining it up. As much as I tried, it always felt it was aiming to the left. Would set it and felt closed every time.

Man this could be a long list. Maybe Modus 105 and Recoil 95 shafts. Was able to groove them in a controlled environment but on course no clue where the ball was going.

Honorable mention to the Killer Bee driver in the 90's. I remember a HS tournament where I hit nothing but low snap hooks.
Wasn't the Killer Bee a Golfsmith club?

Top Flight Blades. 1st set of Irons, given to me and played starting on a very cold day. I can Play these... so wrong and so painful.

Every Scotty Cameron putter I’ve tried. I love the looks but they feel off to me. Granted I’ve never owned any circle T goodness but so far haven’t been impressed

Adams Tight Lies! If I hit it clean, it was great! But, I could not get a good swing on a ball with the 3-wood I had. Always topping, chunking, and skulling. I practiced at the range with no good result. Played 1 season with it in my bag, then took it out. Replaced it with a 2-iron I had in the bag previously. I was given the Tight Lies by a friend who bought something new. Tried to make it work, just wasn't to be. After all the great things I had heard about Tight Lies, not for me. I currently play(since 2012), Callaway Diablo Octane 3-wood at 15*, and have thought about something new, but, I like the feel of this club, and the shot shape. It has a deep face to get into the grass, be it fairway, or rough. Might replace it eventually, with something adjustable...

This really hurts to admit, and type out, but sadly the Darkspeed LS 8* Driver has been an absolute bust out on the course. I know it’s all me, but the confidence it inspired during my fitting has not translated at all to the course. I can’t keep this thing on the planet to save my life.

I’m very fortunate that the fitter I work with is better to me than I deserve and I’m able to go back and get into something else with little to no damage to my bank account.

The opposite of what you're asking, the club that has proven me wrong was the Callaway AI Smoke driver.

I initially thought it had been a huge mistake spending the money on that club, but as soon as I switched from the R flex 55gr shaft they sold me at the fitting to an S flex 65gr, the tee game has been more accurate than I've ever experienced.

When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. In this case, that's a good thing.

Black and Yellow Rocketbladz. Standard version. Just horrendous in my hands.

When I went to see an instructor at the beginning of April, I hit 80% of my shots off the hosel. I thought, "I never did this with the older AP1's". Could it be the new Wilson D9 irons I just bought brand new? Can they really be this bad? I am totally new to the game, and I thought that I had made a bad decision on this purchase. Went to a different instructor that is also a club fitter and after 15 minutes, he had me hitting 20 - 40 yard pitch shots pretty straight. For awhile there, I thought the D9's would end up being listed here.

The origonal Burner Bubble 3 wood. The one I had before it (Yonex ADX) was a rocket, and easily turned both ways. Burner Bubble 3 wood wouldn't fade to save my azz. Of course I figured this out after I had disposed of the ADX.

A Callaway mini-driver and a Cobra hybrid. I killed both clubs during demo but they killed me once I owned them.

Hey, let me ask you all this. Especially with newer stuff. The equipment starts out working for you or you think it does. Come to find out, it doesn't pan out. What is the next step? Return it for a credit? Sell it outright? Something else?

Cleveland Mashie M1. A 15.5° hybrid seemed like a club I needed. Nope. It was terrible for me.

Hey, let me ask you all this. Especially with newer stuff. The equipment starts out working for you or you think it does. Come to find out, it doesn't pan out. What is the next step? Return it for a credit? Sell it outright? Something else?
I might give it to a neighbor kid or charity. Might sell it to someone. All depends on what it is and its value to the recipient. Giving stuff to kids is always good.

1. SeeMore sbc20 putter custom ordered back in 2014 w/ riflescope technology. The answer to my putting woes. It lasted 3 rounds. 43, 44, and 42 putts. It had cooties. I traded it to a neighbor who wanted it for his older Ping + cash. A week later he wanted to reverse the deal. He said the putter had cooties. To maintain peace in the neighborhood.... I ended up trading it in for a new driver.

2. Callaway Epic Flash hybrids. I kind of needed new hybrids. I hit these well in the store, but on the golf course, for some reason i couldn't control where the ball was going. Was it me or the club? I had no problem with my old hybrids. Fortunately a 60 day playability exchange sorted out this mess.

3. Cobra 3-4 UI. This was another club that I hit very well in the store with the steel shaft. I ordered the graphite because it's what i use. And then when I played it, I couldn't hit it. So I ordered a steel shaft from Cobra. That worked, but I hit 7W better so why bother?

Paradym Super Hybrid. Tech was great, looks were fantastic, straightest hybrid I’ve ever hit to date, with 7 iron distance….

Paradym Super Hybrid. Tech was great, looks were fantastic, straightest hybrid I’ve ever hit to date, with 7 iron distance….
Ha ha ha, as I read this, I was like, okay where is the bad news. Got ya.

Back