Why Spin Axis Should Matter to You

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like the floodgates are opening and we are going to continue to see more and more affordable indoor launch monitor options every year. It’s a great time to be an indoor golfer. However, it’s important to know that these units aren’t all the same and some of their differences could mean big variations in how well they are able to determine what the golf ball is actually doing. It seems to be a point of contention with some people, but the truth is that radar units just can’t provide the same level of accuracy as camera-based (photometric) units do in an indoor setting. They function best when they can actually track a ball throughout a substantial portion of its flight. Even Trackman, the prize-winning Thoroughbred of radar launch monitors, seems to be conceding that fact with their new, camera-based indoor launch monitor systems. So, what is it that a camera (the high speed camera in the...

Continue reading...

I enjoyed reading this. I think you presented a good explanation regarding spin and tilt.

Would there be any advantage using the RPT balls on the ST+?

Well this article comes at a good time for me.
I went into a Indoor Sim place that just opened up for business near my home.
It uses TrackMan for reading the golf ball.
The owner did tell me that on smaller chips or putts it uses a camera system.
They have ProV1 RCT golf balls for people to use, however I'm an "X" guy.
So when I was reading some of the numbers I was getting, I thought to myself "I know V1 is not a fit for me, too little spin"
If I'm going to go there more often, I'm going either have to get a sleeve of ProV1X RCT or a sleeve of the CSX RPT

This was a great article this morning for some reading material. The breakdown of spin axis was just enough for my brain to consume!

So when I was reading some of the numbers I was getting, I thought to myself "I know V1 is not a fit for me, too little spin"
If I'm going to go there more often, I'm going either have to get a sleeve of ProV1X RCT or a sleeve of the CSX RPT
Im honestly not sure the RPT will offer much assistance on a Trackman indoors. It is designed to work with the Rapsodo cameras. Trackman is using radar to track the golf ball and calculating the information indoors based on that.

Im honestly not sure the RPT will offer much assistance on a Trackman indoors. It is designed to work with the Rapsodo cameras. Trackman is using radar to track the golf ball and calculating the information indoors based on that.
Thanks, good info. So would the CSX, RPT version, be a better option?

Thanks, good info. So would the CSX, RPT version, be a better option?
Im not sure I understand. Trackman isnt using a camera to pick up the RPT. As far as Trackman indoors, you either use the RCT from Titleist or deal with some funky numbers in our opinion (even then I would argue that they can get funky haha).

The data we now have at our fingertips with launch monitors and the seemingly endless choices of shafts and equipment can make for a time consuming search/obsession with the numbers. I do love that having accurate data can lead to trying different things with my swing and seeing how it changes the numbers. I’ve spent more time with an accurate LM the last few winters and for the first time in my life learned what swing changes are needed to spin my driver less. It’s still a work in progress but the PGA Superstore a mile from my house rents bays that include video and I plan on at least 20 sessions over the winter to get things dialed in.

It’s awesome that these launch monitors have become accurate enough without having to spend a sum that would buy a decent used car.

Would there be any advantage using the RPT balls on the ST+?
No, because the Rapsodo algorithm is based on the RPT pattern. ST+ also measures spin axis, but uses markings on normal golf balls to accomplish this.

ST+, while it measures axis, uses that measurement to create and display the reading as “side spin” because it’s typically easier for people to understand. Nonetheless, the same benefit is there in terms of displaying ball flight accurately on the screen.

I’d just grab a sleeve of V1x RCT balls.

Im not sure I understand. Trackman isnt using a camera to pick up the RPT. As far as Trackman indoors, you either use the RCT from Titleist or deal with some funky numbers in our opinion (even then I would argue that they can get funky haha).
Thanks, I misunderstood your first comment.
I'll pick up some V1X RCT golf balls.

Great write-up @Hawk. It's much easier to do that troubleshooting on your own with a better understanding of how/why the ball is performing the way it is. Really impressive that the "lower-end" launch monitors now are capable of so much.

Just so I understand @Hawk If you use the Rapsodo monitor but not the specially marked up Callaway balls then you can't get the Spin Axis data? What about other data as well?

Spin axis is why I have an MLM2PRO as opposed to some others. I'm not in it too play sim golf. I need it to be accurate.

Do you not find Trackman accurate?
With the right setup and a boatload more money spent, sure.

Like mentioned in the article though for indoor space they've kind of showed that even they believe camera integration is necessary for best functionality.

but really the most important part is the software that interprets the camera's input.
if the numbers and or algorithms are bad, the information is bad.

Good article and something important to pay attention to for those who have the units that measure it and practice at home. Paying close attention to the spin axis helped me understand what's going on with my swing and push me in the right direction so to speak for making corrections.

Just so I understand @Hawk If you use the Rapsodo monitor but not the specially marked up Callaway balls then you can't get the Spin Axis data? What about other data as well?
This is correct. There are some metrics is provides without the RPT balls, but it’s very limited.

Ball speed, launch angles directions, etc. normal but for an accurate picture of the shot you need the rest. You don't need the Callaway balls though. It can be debated but there's effective work around with the aftermarket Rapsodo balls dots.

Great writeup - think it really helps for folks thinking or considering getting a launch monitor. Obviously for indoor setups, Foresight has the de facto standard for photo metric but SkyTrak is soo good for the price point!

As I’m sitting here I’m wondering about spin axis on the GC3. Could there be a difference based on which way the logo is placed or marking on the ball if it has one?

Back