2023 Snell MTB PRIME and PRIME X Golf Balls

Very interesting. I loved the original Snell balls so I'll give these a spin too. Price is right still as well.

The spin profiles are intriguing. Usually the firmer balls spin more and vice versa, so if this Flex Mantle has truly enabled them to flip that script this could be a game changer.

I don't love the new branding. Looks like a range ball at first glance. I liked the old large script.

New logo made me think of Evolve Golf at first. I like the alignment aid on the side. Price I’d super competitive when everyone else is raising prices.

Not sure about the new logo. Packaging looks ok. I used to use the MTB X, and liked it, so would be interested to try both of these.

Very interesting. I loved the original Snell balls so I'll give these a spin too. Price is right still as well.

The spin profiles are intriguing. Usually the firmer balls spin more and vice versa, so if this Flex Mantle has truly enabled them to flip that script this could be a game changer.

I don't love the new branding. Looks like a range ball at first glance. I liked the old large script.
I was trying to put a finger on it and I think you nailed it about the looks.

I prefer the older logo. Still have some of the previous model that I play now and then. Glad to see them rolling out a new model.

I'm glad to see they came out with an update, I was always a fan of their offerings. I don't mind the new scripting on the ball and I think their logo is pretty cool. I'll have to order a trial pack at some point.

In a world of golf balls priced at $45-55 it's nice to see another affordable option.

I've played the MTB Black for several years now (although in 2022 i had mixed results in obtaining them). I'm going to try and grab a box of the new Snell Prime and Prime X offering and see how they perform. I have positive views on new branding which has me wondering if Snell Golf may be have plans to expand their line to new areas in the future. The alignment lines on any ball aren't a must have for me but, they seem to be there on many/most balls that interest me so.... i can live with them.

(I had some issues finding the Snell golf balls last year so, at the turn of 2023, I picked up on a sampling of MaxFli Tour and Tour X to start the season. The price isn't terrible and if performance matches what i've read, they should be fine for my game. As they say, i've got options.)

A lower spin X ball? That seems so contradictory to everything we know. I thought the MTB ball was ok, not sure I'd be rushing to try this but the price is decent.

As far as the logo and rebranding, it's a big miss for me.

Does anyone know if Nassau Golf(Korea) is still making these for Snell? I know Taylormade bought Nassau Golf about 18 months ago and the rumor at the time is they would stop making DTC golf balls. I know Dean Snell was the longtime head of the golf ball product category for Taylormade so maybe that relationship is strong enough that they still manufacture for him.

Does anyone know if Nassau Golf(Korea) is still making these for Snell? I know Taylormade bought Nassau Golf about 18 months ago and the rumor at the time is they would stop making DTC golf balls. I know Dean Snell was the longtime head of the golf ball product category for Taylormade so maybe that relationship is strong enough that they still manufacture for him.
Last thing I saw, it was. But, that was a while ago.

The font reminds of Bridgestone. I think the font change is good.

Sounds and looks like a great ball, at an excellent price point.

I wonder if this will be enough for the folks who loved Snell but stopped using them when they ran into supply chain issues will come back into the fold for this new release? :unsure:

I like the new scripting, looks good I'll be interested in trying both of these. Snell was one of my favorite balls

Branding and packaging seems more "premium" not sure I'm interested in buying them still with other great performing balls out there for similar prices

So....with the competition for the golf ball $$, I am wondering what they really cost to manufacture and bring to market. So many DTCs seem to exist (my meaning here - they are not going out of business - so must be somewhat successful). They don't have the advertising budget that Titleist, Callaway and TM have (I assume the 3 most popular balls - with the most money spent on advertising). I compound that with the used ball market and the not quite factory second market as well - it's just got to be incredibly tough to succeed and turn a profit (maybe not?).

Example, I bought 4 dozen (to get free shipping:rolleyes:) Callaway CS and CS X LS practice balls at$15 a dozen about a month ago (already had about 8-10 dozen balls on the shelf). Wish I had bought more!

Anyway, all that chatter aside, great article - look forward to giving Snell balls a try sooner than later.

I use to be a huge Snell supporter. It was all I played. Unfortunately after the golf ball shortage, the value went away.

I use to be a huge Snell supporter. It was all I played. Unfortunately after the golf ball shortage, the value went away.
Totally agree!

@Jman - nice homepage write up.
Any idea if yellow will be offered?

I like the new company branding/logo. The old script they used I was never a fan of. To me it looked dated. The new branding looks more contemperary.
I also like the alignment aid. Most of the time with balls I have to draw a black line on but that one looks large and bold enough to use sans adding a line.

Only downside is normally I am a V1x player as I like the higher flight and spin. It doesn't seem with the Prime versions I would have an comparable option here.
Why does everything have to be so low spin these days? Not everyone needs low spin...especially us moderate swingers of the club :)

Knew you were a big Fan.

Hey ! Glad to see you back in the spotlight Dean!
Co- inventor of the ProV1, Penta and Tour Preferred and several more patients in the industry,
Plastics engineer , and from one old hockey player to another he makes excellent stuff.
I tried out his Get Sum 2 ply and 3 ply urethane Red / Black series. l found them to be every bit as good as any ball out there , felt like a TP5’s.
I like your direct to customer model approach , the balls look cleaner more modern and I am sure they will preform and maybe this is the new ProV1’s or TP5. Now I am going to search my closet for the 3-4 boxes of Snells I have stashed away in 2018 ,19
Will order the new ones for sure!.

@Jman - nice homepage write up.
Any idea if yellow will be offered?

Dean said in the accompanying video that yellow in both balls will be a mid to late summer release.

Knew you were a big Fan.
I really did like the balls. But the big appeal was the pricing for performance. I just looked back and in October 2018 I was paying $22.50/dozen when I bought a multi-pack. Now the cheapest they go for is $30/dozen when buying a multi-pack. I don’t really lose a lot of balls at my course, so there isn’t much of an incentive anymore to buy the DTC balls.

I liked the MTB and MTB-X leaning to MTB more. I look forward to using the MTB Prime now as it sounds like it will have the softer feel I prefer. As far as the rebranding, I get the company is Snell Golf, which may indicate future lines of business other than golf, however putting the word "golf" on a golf ball seems redundant to me. Also, I prefer a single alignment line. Adding 2 more lines doesn't enhance the feel or give me a better green read, however it isn't a deal breaker.

Really cool that prices came down $2 to $32.99 from $34.99. I sure didn't expect that.

I'm not a big fan of the new font, but it isn't anything that I'd lose sleep over, either. I'll get around to checking them out, but I'm in no hurry. I still have 4+ dozen new (old version) MTB-X and 1.5 dozen of the new Mizuno RB Tour and X that I've yet to try.

I like the "S" part of the logo but I have to say I like the old ball lettering "Snell" better than the newer block style script. The newer one looks kind of "Generic" to me where the old one was unique.

Sounds and looks like a great ball, at an excellent price point.

I wonder if this will be enough for the folks who loved Snell but stopped using them when they ran into supply chain issues will come back into the fold for this new release? :unsure:

I was one of them. Not sure if I'll go back because that made me a bit gun shy.

Back