2023 Snell MTB PRIME and PRIME X Golf Balls

glad to see dean back at it. i was a huge fan of the og mtb. dean snell is a treasure, and i so enjoyed mixing it up with him at the kickoff classic several years ago.

Nice writeup @Jman. I like the logo and branding, it's clean and simple. Not as much a fan of the alignment aid, I can see why people think it looks like a range ball.

I've typically shied away from DTC balls, but it's tempting to give the Prime a try at that price point.

Nice to see Snell update. The test and look of the logo is just ok, but the performance of the Prime offering more spin and lower flight might put it into play.

I'm thinking of giving these a go. I just bought a dozen TP5 and a dozen CSTT so unless I lose 4-6 balls a round (again) I won't need to order til later this summer. I love the price point tho. If I didn't have store credit I wouldn't have bought what I bought so to see these come in in the Low $30's is fantastic.

I think the Prime would fit me well with the lower flight since I’m a high ball hitter. Would really like to give these a try. New logo looks good, alignment aid could be better…maybe without the two lines.

I was wondering a week or two ago when we’d see a new Snell release so I’m glad to see it and I would try both of these. I’m torn on the new branding but it is not something that changes my desire to give them a try

Very odd what they did with the compression and spin profiles. For that reason, I'm out.

I was a huge fan of the Snell Black until they ran out.
Playing the Triad and the Tour Response right now
When I run out, if Snell hasn't run out will order some Prime
I see no reason not to give them a chance
The Black was the best ball in the wind I ever played

Don't hate the logo, don't like the logo
The logo will not be a determining factor in whether I play a ball or not
I do like the side stamp

I think the logo, name and alignment are all a big step backwards.

I had a horrid time trying to put the original MTBs in play so not rushing to try. but always curious about the reviews of these types of balls and might try down the road.

Good golf balls. Snell is about 45 minutes from my home. They sold out the entire pre-order shipment of Prime in one day. I look forward to trying this golf ball.

Cool to see something new from snell.

Is the Prime X kind of like a Pro V1X left dash? High launching but lower spin than a traditional X profile.

Reading elsewhere, it seems the new Snell balls have gone to a TPU cover instead of cast urethane, and some don't like that. I don't know enough about balls to recognize one from the other and understand what the performance or durability trade-offs might be. Anyone?

A lower spin X ball? That seems so contradictory to everything we know. I thought the MTB ball was ok, not sure I'd be rushing to try this but the price is decent.

As far as the logo and rebranding, it's a big miss for me.
X “used” to be the lower spinning ball for years.

I have no need for more golf balls at the moment. Trying to not give in to impulse at the moment.

Branding is a little bland to me, I feel like they could have achieved their objectives while still having a little more appeal than straight block lettering.

LOVE the price point. Well done.

Waiting for the yellow versions.I think I have enough balls to last me till summer.

Was a huge fan of the original MTB, not as much a fan of the current MTB-Black. Not sure what to think of the new Prime versions. Great price point for sure, especially compared to everyone else raising prices.

Box o balls arrived today. Will be playing the Prime tomorrow.

Looking forward to playing them but I can't say I'm hitting thr ball well enough right now for me to notice a difference or the ball make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Nassau Golf(Korea) is still making these for Snell? I know Taylormade bought Nassau Golf about 18 months ago and the rumor at the time is they would stop making DTC golf balls. I know Dean Snell was the longtime head of the golf ball product category for Taylormade so maybe that relationship is strong enough that they still manufacture for him.

No. Since Taylor Made acquired Nassau, given the ionomer shortage they focused on trying to keep up with their demand. That was the reason for Snell's lack of stock. Dean was forced to re-formulate the cover material because the only other factory in the world that manufacture cast urethan covered golf balls (other than Accushnet/Titleist) was Foremost and they could not add Snell's production as their biggest customers, Vice and DSG/Maxfli, utilized their maximum production capacity. Snell had to re-formulate the cover to TPU and set up QC in other factories to his high level of quality control. He currently has two factories manufacturing for him now and two more working on coming online so he don't run into these problems ever again.

Reading elsewhere, it seems the new Snell balls have gone to a TPU cover instead of cast urethane, and some don't like that. I don't know enough about balls to recognize one from the other and understand what the performance or durability trade-offs might be. Anyone?

Yes. I'm hoping with Dean's engineering prowess he's designed and formulated his TPU to be as good, if not better, than Srixon, Bridgestone or Callaway. It's funny, Dean actually was on the team that invented the cast urethane process at Titleist.

I ordered a dozen of the Prime to test them out. So far I like them better than the MTB balls off the putter (slight bit softer) which was really my only complaint with the MTB balls, especially when it was a little cooler outside. I hope to test on course this weekend.

Been gaming Snells since they came out, I think, in 2016 or so. Kind of a fan boy. Been playing the Black's for along time. Occasionally try something different and have not found anything that really blows me away compared to the Black's.

Just got my shipment of MTB Prime balls tonight, playing them tomorrow.

Really surprised they reduced the price. How does that happen?

Everybody else has increased their prices for the others I've tried.

Hope these live up to my expectations!

We'll see.

I took the MTB Prime to the local Trackman sim and found the feel and performance are up there with the MTB I used last year. My scores are neither going to be helped or hindered by the ball itself, and for that I am glad I purchased the MTB Prime. With that said, my 54 degree Zipcore significantly scratched up the cover after 2 hits. I continued using the same ball between myself and my wife for the remainder of warmups and an 18 hole par 3 course. I compared that ball with a well used MTB-X and the damage was more noticeable on the MTB Prime... significantly more noticeable. The durability, it seems, is the only con. I am interested to see how well it wears on real course scenarios.

I played Snell for many years.. might have to give them a try again!

I've played Snell golf balls for the last four or five yeatrs, I was drawn to them for the price and the fact that I tended to hit more greens and stick them than other balls. I do not have a very fact swing speed, 90-95 mph with my driver, but I got excellent distance with the MTB-X. I ordered a sample of the Prime and Prime-x, I hope to get out and hit them along with some other brands to test for distance, height etc. in the next week or so. I agree with an earlier post that the alignment makes it look like a range ball, the logo is OK, I didn't mind the last one so no big deal on the change. The cover on the Prime-x felt stickier that on the regular Prime, I'll see if that makes a difference on the course. I am happy with the new cost. I may even try the Get Sum, who knows what Dean has developed there. I'll try to post my experience on the range if I get the opportunity.

Back